Amazing activities in Chiang Mai
Whereas Bangkok is a mere 200 years old, Chiang Mai was foundedin the late 13th century. The year of 1996 marked the official 700year anniversary. Chiang Mai was once of the capital of Lanna, anindependent Thai Kingdom and has remained one of the oldestcontinuously inhabited settlements of Thailand. The north was teakcountry where elephants used to work in the forests. It was thiscommerce that drew foreign entrepreneurs to north Thailand. Theywrote in journals and letters to their families about thisbeautiful area. This tradition of adventurers visiting Chiang Maicontinues today with you..
- Chiang Mai City Arts & Culture Center, PrapokklaoRoad between Rajdumnern Road and Rajwithee Road. If travelling bytuk-tuk or songtheaw, ask for the "Three KingsMonument" (Saam Kasat); the cultural center is in thelarge, elegant white building just behind the statue. Open from8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. except on Mondays. Admission 90 baht. Tel:(053) 217-793.
- Visit Art Galleries featuring northernArtists:
- Northern Art Gallery, KM 29 Hangdong Rd.; KTGallery near Mengrai Kilns
- Gong Dee Fallery & Tea Room on Soi 1Nimanhemin Rd.
- The Gallery Restaurant on Mae Ping River
- Chiang Mai University Museum of Art,Nimanhemin Road. (Closed Mondays)
- Stamp collectors can visit the Postal Museumon Vichayanon Rd. (opposite the Mae Ping Branch Post Office.)
- Harris House Museum of Old Photos at PrinceRoyal's College, Kaew Nawarat Rd.
- Hilltribe Museum atat Rama 9 Park (Suan LowGao) on Mae Rim Rd. Open Tuesday through Fridays from 9 am to 4 pm.Tel. 0 5321 0872. Phone ahead to see slide show.
- Insect MuseumSirimangklajarn Road. Fun for allages. Tel.0 53 2 11891
- Dara Pirom Palace Museum at Dara RasameeMilitary Camp, Mae Rim Road. 100 year old restored teak palacecomplete with antique decor.
- Chiangmai National Museum, Super-highway. Open9 am-4.30 pm. Closed Mondays & Tuesdays. Tel. 0 5322 1308.
- The Dhamma Park Gallery, 109/2 Baan PasangNoi, Moo1, T. Baan Paen, Lamphun. Tel 512609.
- The Chiang Mai Doll-making Centre and Museum,187/2 Moo 9, Dong Khee Lek, Sanpatong,. Tel/Fax 0 5383 7229.
- For northern Thai wedding ceremony contact CTCChiangmai Travel Center. Package includes costumes, photosand more. ContactContact Tel. 0 5327 5097, 053 202993-5.
- Khum Khan Toke, Behind Carrefour Superstore.Tel.3041212. Lanna style pavilion accommodates over 200persons.
- Tai ChiChuan, an intensive 10day course (60 hours) threesessions daily, 7.00 to 9.30 am, 1.00 to 2.00 pm & 4.00 to 6.30pm. Call Keith at 0 5330 6012 ext. 201
- Retreats at TaoGarden, Doi Saket. Courses are designed for alllevels, as well as instructor/practitioner trainees. AyurvedicMedicine courses. Certificates are issued. Call for information at0 5349 5596.
- TibetanKung Fu,International Center Chiangmai by Master Joe(Kheliang), Traditional Doctor. Wushu Muay Thai, a hybrid fightingform, the best of Muay Thai boxing and Wushu Kung Fu. 5 ElementTibetan self healing. Tibetan food cooking classes. Wushu Kung Fuand more disciplines. Open daily 9.00 am to 6 pm. 43 Changmoi KaoRoad., Tel. 053 252523.
- BaanThai CookerySchool, 11 Ratchdamnern Rd. Tel 357339. Cook like aThai chef upon completion of course.
- The Chili Academy,. Learn Thai and vegetariancooking also. Tel. 0 5323 5387
- Make clay dollsfor home and garden decorationat Mae Pao Din, Paw Tam Suan., 361/5 Moo 8, Rimtai-Mae Jo Rd., Tel.053 298897. 6 rooms Baht 600 per person include ABF.
- S'nails, Soi 11, Sirimangkalajarn Road. Tel.05389 4988.
Holistic Health Care
- Acupuncture treatments in your home. For infoin English call 01 881 2267.
- Angsana Spa, 183/1 Chotana Rd., Mae Rim, Tel.298220-3. Award winning Banyan Tree master brand.
- Ban Sabai Spa for Health and Well Being, 17/7Charern Prathet Rd. Chiang Mai 50100 , Tel. 053 285 604-6.
- Northern Heritage Spa, Chiangmai Lamphun GolfClub, Tel. 0 5338 1000-11.
- The Pothiyalai Center offers Clairvoyant &Spiritual healing readings. 253 Moo 2 Ban Ton Kaew, Sanpunwan,ChiangmaiHod Road or Tel.0 5344 1663, 0 1882 1506
- Dr. Petchara Lohwitaya, Acupuncture treatmentsMcCormick Hospital, Kaew Nawarat Rd. Monday - Friday 9 am to 4 pm.Tel. 0 5392 1777
- Reflexology. Chetawan Massage School, OppRajabhat University, Chotana Road. Tel. 0 5341 0360,
- Tao Garden HealthResort. World renowned for holistic health programs.Luang Nua, Doi Saket Road. Tel. 0 5349 5596-9.
- Bowling alleys .
- Vista Cinema Tel. 0 5389 4415
- Scheduledevening Thai boxing matches.at ThapaeGate near Top North Hotel.
- Chiang Mai FlyingClub: Chiang Mai Flying Club:Flight Training Course or Basic Flying.Tel. 053 200515. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- View Chiangmai from the SKY! DiscoveryAdventure on pilot assisted 2 man microlight 20 minflight. Nov - Feb Hot air balloon rides. Call 0 5386 8460, 0 53867646. 08 1952 5300.
- Fascinating Thai Buffalo Training Camp, 4shows daily. Tel. 0 5330 1628
- Visit ChiangmaiZoo on Huay Kaew Rd over 700 species of animals &birds residing on 200 acres of Doi Suthep foothills.
- Mountain Biking, opposite Wat Prasingh.081-024-7046.
- Visit the only temple in Chiangmai with modern art muralsdepicting lessons of Buddhism at Wat DoiSaket.
- Have a mineral bath in one of the hot springs parks aroundChiangmai such as the TAT operated Sankampaeng HotSprings, 23 kms east of Sankampaeng.
- Visit the camp site of King Mengrai at Wiang GoomGarm (over 700 years old) on Lamphun Road opposite the MaePing Police Station. Go there by river boat and horsecarriage. Free PICK UP, call 081-884-4621, 081-885-0663.
- Elephant riding, oxcart riding, bamboo raftingand caving.
- Visit the Elephant Hospital and Training Camp in Lampang. Opendaily.
- Birdwatching at Doi Inthanon National Park. The center forWildlife Research at Mahidol University records a present total of362 species and expects additions.
- Chiangmai Rock Climbing, 8 Soi 2, SuriyawongseRd., Haiya, Tel. 053 207102.
- Monkey Center Park., 229 Moo 1, Mae Ram,Tel./fax 053 298442. Open daily. Call for show times.
- Flight of the Gibbon, Mae Kampong. Open everyday. mobile 0899 705 511, 0898 503 808
- Tiger Kingdom, Mae Rim. Open every day. Tel. 05386 0704-5
- Attend lectures at Informal Northern ThaiGroup every 2nd Tuesday at 7.30 pm at Alliance Francaise.Call Frank Kelly, the convenor Tel. 0 5394 4357 (mornings).
- Bungy Jump, 299 Moo 1 T.Mae Ram A.Mae RimChiangmai. Tel. 0 5329 8442, 0 1894 7698, 01 671 8624
- Go Kart Track at the Chiangmai Speedway, 254Moo 8, ChmHangdong Rd. Open every day.
- Golfcourses and driving ranges