"Welcome to Chiangmai and Chiangrai" magazineis full of information which can easily answer many questions evenbefore your arrival in Chiangmai. Furthermore, "Welcome toChiangmai and Chiangrai" magazine has developed an ATTRACTIONSCHECKLIST for your pleasant visit to Chiangmai and her neighboringprovinces.
You've made the right choice to visit this more than 700 - yearold city. "The Rose of the North" and the second largest city inthe kingdom. (See Map 1, 5, 6, 7 and Upper North Thailand)
1. City & Temples: Please read "Temples in Chiangmai" article for location and details in thisor previous issues : Wat Chedi Luang, Wat Phra Singh, Wat Prasart,Wat Jao Mengrai, Wat Chiang Mun, Wat Goo Tao, Wat Suan Dork, WatU-Mong, Wat Jed Yord, Wat Phra Thart Doi Suthep, Wat Chedi Liam& others at the Ancient City of Wiang Goom Gaam. A Tour ofHistory : Chiang Mai City Arts & Cultural Center, Chiang MaiNumismatic Museum(The Treasury Hall), Chiang Mai Province LocalMuseum (Historical).
2. River Boat Tour: (A) Landing at WatChaimongkol, Charoenprathet Road. or, (B) Scorpion Tailed Boat,Charoenrasd Rd (opp. Municipal Office), daily service.
3. North - western Route (Rt.1004): (Huay KaewRd.,& Doi Suthep)...Chiangmai National Museum, Huay KaewArboretum & Doi Suthep Nature Study (Chm University) ChiangmaiZoo, Royal Folk Art & Handicraft Center. Huay Kaew Falls &Pra Krooba Sriwishai Monument, Wat Prathart Doi Suthep, PhupingPalace, Meo Tribal Village.
4A. South - western Route (Rt.121): Along withirrigation canal and southwest of airport,a new project wascompleted -- Chiangmai NightSafari.
4B. South - western Route (Rt.108): Visit
5. Eastern Route (Rt.101): Cottage industrieson the road from Chiangmai to Sankampaeng ... more information inarticle on Borsarng- Sankampaeng. Also, hot spring 23 kms. fromSankampaeng. From Borsarng going to DoiSaket which has temple on the hills, Mae Guang Dam, Huay HongKhrai Royal Project.
6. Northern Route (Rt.107): Only 1.5 kms. fromHighway intersection, visit Hilltribe Museum &Research, then use canal Road (Rte.121)and past 700 YearsStadium to reach man-made lake, HuayTueng Thao (kms. from city). Back to Ret. 107 and continue tillkm. 13, turn left for another 2 kms and arrive at Study Center ofSufficient Economy (His Majesty's Innitiative Support Center).Continue on the same road to DaraPirom Palace Museum near Mae Rim district office and across irregation canal is Wat PaDara Pirom Temple. This district covers several mountain resorts& elephants at work, alongMae Rim-Samerng highway (Rt.1096.. See Map 5 & Map 5A). Elephant safari,rafting & hilltribes in MaeDtaeng district as well as Mae Tamann subdistrict. Also on Rt.1095in Mae Dtaeng, Mohn Unggate, Pa Pae Hot Spring, Huay Thoong Jaw,and Huay Naam Dung. Back on Rt. 107, after Mae Dtaeng districtoffice, Km.44, turn right and 11 Kms. to Mae Ngud Dam, part ofSri Lanna National Park.Shrine-cave & elephant training camp in Chiang Dao, Pa Gia on Chiang Dao mountaintop. Leesor hilltribe at Huay Naam Roo/Saam Muen. Before Faang district; Dtub Tao cave,
7. North - Eastern Route (Rt.1001): Sri Lanna National Park thatcovers Mae Nguddam, forest area of 3 districts - Mae Dtaeng, Chiang Dao, andPrao. Waterfall at Mohn Hin Lai and Yen which also has hotspring.
Lamphun, the "Longest Established" city in the kingdom, is thecapital of a small province close to Chiangmai. You may want tomake a full day or 3-4 hour trip. Most interesting places are inthe old city or its suburbs, and the south side of the province.The trip can be based on 2 areas :
1, Old City: About 21 kms south from Chiangmaicity, visit the following temples and places: Goo Shaang & GooMah--Cemetery of Queen Jarmmathaewee's elephant & horses. WatJarmmathaewee- Chedi (Jedee) or pagoda containing QueenJarmmathaewee's remains. Wat Mahawan-about 1300 years old, built byQueen Jarmmathaewee. Wat Pra Yuen - - a standing Buddha image,about 700 - 800 years old. Finally, Wat Prathart Haripoonshai Templewith beautifully -- gilded Jedee (pagoda) which contains Buddha'srelics, about 1,500 years old. Also, National Museum of Lamphunshould be included.
2. Suburbs & South Side: Eight kilometerson the old road of Chiangmai- Lamphun (Rt.106) before Lamphun city,turn right and another 7 kilometers, Baan Nohng Chang Kreun, thebiggest Lumyai or Longan orchard in the country is located. BaanPaen is home of "Hat Maker Village" (bamboo& palm leaves areused). Further south, Huan Samoonprai then Pazang district....Dhamma Gallery Park, Buddha's footprint, and cotton weaving cottageindustries. On the way to the districts of Baan Hohng and Lee, seethe way of life of Karen Hilltribe villages, Huay Lah and HuayTohm. Twenty kilometers on Rt.1087 after intersection at Km. 47 ofRt.106, Mae Ping NationalPark is located that combines some parts of 3 provinces,Chiangmai, Lamphun, and Tak covering dam, rapids, waterfalls,caves, forest. Meanwhile, east of the province is Mae Taa districtwhich is well known of wood carving producers. Further, Khun DtaanNational Park that covers Mae Taa, Haang Chat & Muang Districtsof Lampang with mountain, tunnel, waterfalls.
Chiangrai, the northern most province, has the natural beauty ofmountains, rivers, klongs, etc. The city is about 725 yearsold.
1. City& Temples: Emerald Buddha ( PraKaew), Wat Pra Singh, WatNgarm Muang, Golden Mountain Temple, and Sleeping Buddha Temples.About 5 Kms. away from the city toward west direction, visit
3. Mae Sai District: On the way to Mae Saiafter leaving Mae Jaan, turn left at Hong Khrai subdistrict to
4. Chiangsaen District (Rt.1016): Historically,Chiangsaen which is about 900 -1400 years old, was the 1st or2nd oldest capital along with Lamphun era. You will see ruins,
MAE HONG SORN
Mae HongSorn, the "Misty City", still retains its own identity withnatural resources and culture.
1. City & Temple : Wat Prathart Doi GongMoo, Wat Pra norn, Wat Gumgor, Wat Jong Come, Wat Jong Glang, WatHua Wiang, Royal Folk Art & Handicraft Center.
2. City & Surroundings : Elephant riding& rafting at Huay Dua, hot spring at Pha Bong, Longneck Karentribers, Phu Clone mud spa, Tumm Pla (fish cave) at PhasuaWaterfall National Park, Royal Project of Bamboo Studies Center atBaan Paang Tong Royal Villa, KMT Chinese Settlement at Mae Or.
3. Along Rte.108, 105 : Mae Surin waterfall& National Park, and colorful Mexican Sunflowers at Doi MaeOokor, Japanese Memorial Museum, Wat Tor Pae, Gaew Gomon CalciteCrystal Cave, Karen Hilltribes at Huay Horm & Mae Sa Gua, LuaHilltribe at Mae La-Oob, Mai Oom-Lohng Hotspring, MexicanSunflowers at Mae Haw, Mae Sariang's four wellknown temples andMuseum and Exhibition Hall. More adventures at Salaween NationalPark and rafting at Mae Saam Laeb or Mae Naam Ngao near Mae NgaoNational Park.
4. Along Rt.1095 : Tumm Naam Lord Cave, Tumm Pee ManCave of Prehistory, Mae La-Na Cave... all in Paang Ma-Pah area.Approaching to Pai from Paang Ma Paa, Mor Paeng Waterfall, thentemples in town -- Wat Luang and Wat Glaang, Tha Pai Hot Spring,and rafting. Between Pai and Mae Malai intersection (back to Chm.),Huay Naam Dung National Park.
Copyright © 1995-2014 Welcome to Chiangmai and Chiangrai magazine All rights reserved.