We all know that virus causes the common cold. This virus can spread very easily especially when the seasonal average temperature changes. The global warming causes virus to mutate and to multiply more easily, so the infection of cold virus, influenza virus, is nowadays of much concern.
The common cold infects a person who is weak such as the elderly and children. The symptoms of cold are the actions of the body's defense mechanisms to get rid of the virus. The use of chemicals from drugstore –– antipyretics, antihistamines, decongestants, can only suppress the sickness and have nothing to do with the elimination of virus.
To prevent cold and to enhance the recovery from common cold, the best thing to do is to promote our immunity.
To prevent catching cold, take better care of yourself such as:
- By diet ––To improve your immunity, your daily diet should be composed of complex carbohydrates such as brown rice and whole wheat bread, and an adequate amount of fresh vegetables and fresh fruits. You will receive vitamin E from unpolished rice or wheat, and get vitamin C and phytonutrients from fresh vegetables and fruits, thus, elevate your defense mechanism.
Fresh fruits that are recommended for preventing common cold are: red grapes, kumquat and small local fruit called Phyllanthus emblica. Red grapes (not the green/white variety) contain phytonutrient called pycnogenol or OPC which is super antioxidant that is 20 times more potent than vitamin C, so eating red grapes at this time can protect you from common cold, especially children will benefit. As for Kumquat and Phyllanthus emblica, both of them contain very high amount of ascorbic acid and vitamin C complex i.e. rutin, hesperidine and bioflavonoids. You should take 4-6 kumquats or 2-3 Phyllanthus emblica a day to prevent cold.
- Vitamins –– You can take natural form vitamin C or BioC (1 gram) to improve your immunity for prevention of virus infection.
Adult requires –– 1-2 tablets per day.
Child reauires –– ฝ tablet per day.
Choose a vitamin C product, which is low acid. Taking non acid vitamin C is even better. These types of vitamin C will not precipitate in the kidney, so it is safer to use especially for children.
- Hot foot bath –– When the weather is starting to change, it is worth to soak your feet in warm water for 15 minutes daily to prevent common cold. It is proven that soaking your feet warm will increase the blood flow to the nasal cavity, and in turn this can improve the nasal lining immunity.
To treat common cold: When you catch cold, you can look after yourself as follows:
- By diet –– A light meal of low fat diet such as rice porridge is more suitable for you need and is something that will easily digest. Oily meals will cause more secretion or sputum in your throat. A Thai traditional dish, which contains spicy herbs such as Tom Yum Kung or Kang Liang, is highly recommended. These ingredients will cause you to sweat and can improve your condition as well.
- Vitamin C –– Take more natural form of vitamin C. High dosage of vitamin C can both reduce the symptoms of common cold and elevate the efficiency of white blood cell function for getting rid of virus at the same time.
Adult requries1-2 tablets 4-6 times per day.
Child requires ฝ tablet 4-6 times per day.
- Drink plenty of fluids ––Water will clean all toxins of the virus infection from your system and therefire reduce the cold symptoms. So remember persistently sipping lukewarm water frequently or you can use warm lemon water with a small amount of honey to soothe your throat instead. Herbal teas such as chamomile, mint and ginger are also helpful.
- Rest –– At this time you need a good rest. Staying in a warm bed while restraining from stress can be helpful for improving your immunity to fight off the virus.
- Eucalyptus foot bath –– Fill a bowl with warm water, put a few drops of Eucalyptus oil in a bowl. Bathe your feet and use a large blanket to cover yourself. Breath in the vapor of Eucalyptus. Stay there for 5-10 minutes. This will make you feel much better almost right away.