A Few Reasons Why Chiangmai is Unique
- Chiangmai is the longest continuously lived in settlement from the ancient days of Siam. Within the remaining brick walls surrounding the ancient city can be found more than 30 temples. Some temple sites dating back to the founding of the principality in 1296 A.D.
- Doi Suthep is a temple at 3,500 feet overlooking the plains where Chiangmai is located. A shrine to both Thai and foreign visitors, its auspicious site was selected by a royal elephant that roamed up the steep forested mountainside hundreds of years ago.
- The breathtaking panorama view of mountains and terraced rice paddies that are the home to six major ethnic hilltribes who continue their agrarian lifestyle and still wear their fascinating native dress.
- Borsarng, Sankampaeng is the largest traditional handicraft village. The length of the Sankampaeng road is home to over 60 cottage handicraft producers.
- Doi Inthanon, the tallest peak in Northern Thailand is surrounded by a protected National Park. It is the home of an award winning tree standing 30 meters in length. Its trunk is the living home of hundreds of ferns and wild orchids.
- Chiangmai is compact. Visitors can walk from the railway station to Thapae Road, the main street of Chiangmai where can be found the headquarters of major banks, hotels, the popular guesthouse belt and family-owned shopping outlets.
- Chiangmai has 8 fun-filled holidays celebrated throughout the year. Visitors easily mingle and become one family with the local Thai celebrants. January - Borsarng Umbrella Festival, Hangdong Wood Carving Fair; February - Flower Carnival, Weaving Fair in Mae Jaem; April - Thai Yai Ordination Ceremony, Thai New Year Water Festival; May-Visaka Bucha Merit making procession; November - Loy Krathong Moonlight Festival; December - Chiangmai Food Festival.
- The Kad Theatre heralded as the most beautiful and modern equipped live theatre has regular programs with a 1,800 seating capacity. Throughout the year there are folk dancing, live theatre dramas and contemporary music and dance performances.
- Chiangmai is the place or purchasing brand name optical glass frames, lenses at great bargains everyday. Also, its a place to have professional dental work and medical treatments at a fraction of the cost in the USA or Europe..
- Chiangmai is a stronghold of sports. It's the host to the 12 year old International Cricket 6's competition every April. International Raceweek takes place in the last week of July. Field games such as soccer and rugby are played at the "700 Year Stadium" regularly. It's a great place for mountain biking, motorcycling and 4 wheel drive road adventures. There are 5 excellent golf courses, horseback riding academy, go-kart track, numerous tennis courts, bowling alley and fitness centers.
- Chiangmai is known as a spa destination attracting visitors to rejuvenate
and relax. Check out the SPA NEWS and SPA LISTINGS for up to date information and make your reservations.